KYEP ProgrammesAll interns are expected to receive training related to their work during the course of the internship. The choice of internship duration as well as training type and delivery method is completely employer-driven: employers through their sector organizations identified skill needs and developed specific training plans according to the type of skills required and lacking within the industry. All training plans include a module on life-skills and include industry-determined combinations of technical training delivered on-the-job and/or by third party training providers.
For the informal sector, training plans include training by master craftsmen alongside third-party training in such areas as entrepreneurship and technical skills for Interns. Master craftsmen may pre-qualify for offering internships by participation in skills upgrading, funded by the project.
Training plans have been prepared by sector organizations, expressions of interest for training provision have been advertised, procurement of lifeskills training and sector specific training is underway. Sector Boards within KEPSA were involved in the identification of the skills gaps, and third party technical training that is required for the youth with a focus on the 6 sectors identified as potential for growth within vision 2030. As a result, Training Needs Assessment has developed in consultation with employers which forms a basis for the trainings to be provided by the third party training providers.
The youth selected for the program will be provided with Life Skills Training. In addition, technical skills within the six sectors will be provided to the youth .
The training will be in the following Sequence:
Training for the Interns
Training for the interns will comprise of the following:
- First two weeks will be Life Skills Training
- Core Business Skills Training (3-5 Weeks). Interns in the Informal Sector will receive 3 weeks of the training since they will receive an additional module on entrepreneurship training. While those in the formal sector will receive 5 weeks of training.
- Entrepreneurship training (2 Weeks) for those in the Informal sector
- Sector Specific Training as follows :
- Energy, Manufacturing, Finance, ICT and Tourism Skills Training (5 Weeks);
- MSE Skills Training (3 Weeks)
Master Crafts Men Training
The project targets to upgrade the skills of 500 master craftsmen to better prepare them to mentor the Interns in the project.